In Germany as well as throughout the Schengen area health insurance is compulsory.
This means that doctoral students planning a short or long-term stay in Germany must have health insurance.
For most international doctoral students, access to a statutory health insurance is not possible if you do not have an employment relationship with a German university and have not previously been covered by statutory insurance.
For this reason there are special health insurers for doctoral students.
Stay up to 5 years
- come to Germany for the first time
- People between up to 35 years of age
- do not have an employment contract with a German
- Maximum up to the age of 34
- without a German employment contract at a university
- Health insurance for the first time in Germany